Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur

Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur
Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur

Thursday, March 10, 2011

When did mid-March happen?

I'm doing a stand-up job blogging! Just kidding. I actually forgot that I had a blog until I got an e-mail from the public library telling me that all those young adult books I checked out weeks ago are due. Oops! I read them though, and that is a success story.

My wonderful and amazing mother came to visit last week! She stayed for 3 nights and it was jam packed. We went to the a drag show, down to the market, and drank Bloody Mary's and beer! Truth be told, my favorite part of the visit was Winston.


He is Jack's new dog. Jack is super lucky. Winston loves beer and sleeping; he hates garbage trucks, but is fond of sea gulls. It is like we are destined to be best friends forever. 

Can we talk for a minute about how much I love The Moonlight Cafe? SO much. Now, can we talk about how much I dislike Kai's in the U-District? When given the choice I will always choose a dive bar over some place trendy and/or hip. I am that person. Kai's seemed like the perfect place to quench my Bloody Mary thirst and that is how my mom, myself and 6 others ended up there last Friday morning. It was sunny outside, but inside it was dark and quiet. The walls were deep red and the patrons consisted of a couple on their way out and a middle-aged man eating french fries at the bar. So far, so good.

The bar tender was older, maybe 45-50, and he came out and helped us push together some tables. And that was the extent of his kindness. It would be an understatement to say that he was abhorred when all we wanted were drinks. Kai's was rumored to have phenomenal Bloody Mary's, so I eagerly anticipated the arrival of my drink. Now, it was not a bad drink, but it was lacking in the garnish department---which is my favorite part, and there was no straw. I don't know if that's just "Ellen being crazy" or if straws in drinks are something that is okay to expect, but it was sort of difficult to drink out of the glass with a 1/2 inch of salt creeping into my nostrils. Out of sheer guilt, my mom and I ordered fries. They were garlic shoestring fries and  pretty standard. Delicious. Mmmm.....garlic. The reason I will never go back (which is probably untrue, but I definitely won't seek out this destination for future U-District outings) is because of the mean old man bartender. Those damn drinks cost just as much as the food on the menu. He was glare-y and disapproving and made me feel like I was paying with Monopoly money. (Okay, that my mom was paying with Monopoly money, but still.)

In a mere 75 minutes I will be rendezvousing at the library to pick up my fake beard/mustache combo for the Purim party at my house tomorrow. I will be dressing as Haman and eating delicious hamentaschen and drinking wine. Pictures to follow.  

I leave you with this:


No comments:

Post a Comment