Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur

Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur
Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur

Monday, January 24, 2011

A Guaranteed Healthy Immune System/My Tribute to Jack LaLanne

As a vegan I am sometimes asked the questions, "How do you get enough protein?" and "Don't you find yourself getting sick all of the time?"

I hold my rotund Santaesque belly and chuckle in response. Protein? That is why fake meat was invented! Not to mention the giant bowl of peanuts that sit on my coffee table. My roommate's parent's often have the same protein concern for their son and thus have been shipping a 10 lb box of shelled peanuts across country twice yearly.

Now, as far as getting sick? I have developed a sure-fire method to strengthen my immune system and resist most (if not all) forms of bacteria and infection. There are two steps involved; the first step being a healthy dose of alcohol on an almost daily basis. The final step: don't be afraid to eat things that you find on the street.

When Patrick and I were young and in love we took a stroll to the nearby Goodwill. It was probably a 2.5 mile stroll and as we neared our destination I was growing faint with hunger. Suddenly, Patrick spotted a collection of hard candy piled on the sidewalk. It was still wrapped and, as mentioned, was hard candy---none of this "injecting poison into a mini candy bar" stuff. For obvious health reasons (I was not about to die on the street outside of Goodwill) we ate the candy. And it was delicious. And I have never regretted it.

This morning Patrick and I found ourselves walking yet again (because I am the picture of health---as all vegans are). We turned the corner and happened upon a lost and forlorn seeming bagged lunch. Poor kid, but lucky us! Patrick took the orange and I took the celery and carrots (wrapped in saran wrap, but sort of squished). I ate my street veggies at lunch today and after I got over the guilt of the hungry 10 year old (whatever, like he was really going to eat the street veggies) I felt significantly healthier. And now that I am enjoying a glass of wine I am, dare I say, in peak condition.

So, whether it be street candy, a street orange or street veggies, eat up! It will only make you healthier in the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment