Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur

Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur
Happiness is a One Armed Dinosaur

Monday, January 31, 2011

Like, totally tubular and AWESOME pizza skillz, dude!

I know that tension has been high. Everyone is wondering whether or not I pulled myself together and gave National Vegan Pizza Day the celebration it deserves. Rest your weary minds, I did. Not only did I celebrate National Vegan Pizza DAY, but I created National Vegan Pizza Weekend.

So mote it be!

Saturday night I was fit to be tied. And hip to be square. I had dough and some random things in my kitchen and only my mouth to feed. I decided to throw caution to the wind and create a pizza that had the potential to be awful, but that no one would ever have to taste if deemed poisonous.

The dough was homemade because I am that crazy person who has packet upon packet of Active Dry Yeast...so many jokes on the threshold...but beyond a mountain of crust (I doubled the recipe because in a past life I am pretty certain I lived during the Great Depression and as I result every time I cook I make enough food to feed Russia) I was at a loss. And then it dawned on me--in a crazy backward way; I made ravioli last week-ish! The ravioli had been filled with a delightful mixture of butternut squash, spinach, and smoked apple sage Field Roast Sausage. It was so super fantastic as ravioli filling, why wouldn't it be delicious on pizza?!?! Yeah, I know. For "sauce" I decided to take the easy route; I combined olive oil, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, thyme and balsamic vinegar.



After this bad boy came out of the oven, I drizzled some balsamic vinegar atop and dug in. I almost died of pure pleasure. I cannot think of any adjectives to describe how stupendous this pizza was. Happy National Vegan Pizza Day to me (and Netflix---because my Saturday nights aren't lame EVER).

That pizza was so phenomenal that it immediately led to National Vegan Pizza Weekend. On Sunday I made two more gluttonous pizzas, but this time Patrick helped me eat them.

Behold Stuffed Crust Sausage (with peppers, black olives onion and mushroom and a traditional red sauce) and Taco (with Soyrizo, onions, tomatoes, black olives and a red sauce combo consisting of 1 part marinara and 2 parts salsa) PIZZA!!



The crust of the stuffed crust oozed with mozzarella Daiya; way better than the string cheese that Pizza Hut used to use.



I HATE THAT THERE ARE NO LEFTOVERS AS I TYPE THIS! (And yes, I realize it is Monday and I made these pizzas less than 24 hours ago.)

The Taco Pizza was topped with a mixture of mozzarella AND cheddar daiya!



And then, to make it more taco-y and similar to the taco pizza that the Godfathers of my youth offered, I topped it with lettuce, onion, tomato and black olives.



I am salivating.

National Vegan Pizza Day/Weekend may very well become National Vegan Pizza Month. The dam has broken (please, continue to hold your Active Dry Yeast comments). My mind overfloweth with the possibilities!

Yes, Vegan Pizza Month here we come. It's not quite National, but give it some time to catch on.


















No comments:

Post a Comment